Poached Shrimp with Avocado and Lettuce Leaves
Depending on the size of the shrimp, they will take 2-3 minutes to cook.
- 1 large tomato, cored and cut into 1” slices
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of 3 limes, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds, toasted or ground (1 Tbsp. for the dressing and 1 Tbsp. for the shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons coriander, toasted or ground (1 Tbsp. for the dressing and 1 Tbsp. for the shrimp )
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- 2 bay leaves
- About 30 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 whole lemon, sliced
- 2 heads lettuce (romaine is the best, but any will do)
- 3 avocados
- 24 corn chips
For the vinaigrette:
Heat a grill to medium heat. Brush all the tomato slices and shallots with oil, salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook 3 minutes or so until charred. Put the tomatoes and shallots in a food processor and blend with the raw garlic. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and lime juice, cilantro, cumin and coriander and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
Have a bowl of ice water ready to plunge the shrimp into.
Heat a pot with 5 inches of water. Add bay leaf, coriander, cumin and 1 Tbsp. salt and sliced lemon. Bring to a simmer and drop the shrimp in. As soon as they turn pink, plunge into the cold water to stop the cooking.
Assemble on a large tray with lettuce leaves, and avocado slices and drizzle the dressing. Sprinkle the chips around the edges.