Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Crispy Sage Leaves
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts, rinsed and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 lbs. Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and rinsed
- 5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Crispy Sage Leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 to 12 fresh sage leaves
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the leek and onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Jerusalem artichokes, water and salt and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat, cover and simmer until the artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Transfer the mixture to a blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Gently reheat before serving.
To crisp the sage leaves, heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sage leaves and sauté until just crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Garnish each serving of soup with a couple of the sage leaves.